WUSA’s JC Hayward interviewed Tammy Gagnon, a victim of sexual abuse, as a child, by her own grandfather.
According to the Rape Abuse Incest National Network or RAINN:
- Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted
- 60% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police
- Approximately 2/3 of assaults are committed by someone known to the victim
- 38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance
- 15 of 16 rapists will never spend a day in jail
Tammy Gagnon lived with the secret of being sexually abused for many years; until one day she decided to no longer stay silent. Her book No Longer Silent chronicles her life from pain to triumph.
- Myths and Facts About Sex Offenders August 2000 (njfaireducate.com)
- Man Charged With Sexually Assaulting Teen On Train (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- D.C. Appeals Court: Assault Victims Don’t Need to Know Attackers to be Entitled to Protection Orders (legaltimes.typepad.com)
- Overlooking Abuse in Ward 3